Do you ever go through times when you feel like you have lost your intimacy in prayer? Or, that your prayers aren’t making it any higher than the ceiling? You can take some comfort in knowing it’s not an uncommon feeling.
Instead of giving up, we have found great encouragement by reminding ourselves of the following 3 truths about God’s loving interest in our talking to Him about whatever difficulty we are facing at the time.
Before we even begin to pray we assure ourselves from scripture that:
1. God is looking
2. God is listening
3. God will answer
As illustrated below, when the Psalmist felt his prayers were going unnoticed by God, he quickly reminded himself that the above three truths were part of the very nature of God.
Ps 10:1 says Why, O LORD, do you stand far off? Why do you hide yourself in times of trouble? However, it is then followed by Ps 10:17 saying, You hear, O LORD, the desire of the afflicted; you encourage them, and you listen to their cry.
Ps 22:1-2 says My God, my God, why have you forsaken me? Why are you so far from saving me, so far from the words of my groaning? O my God, I cry out by day, but you do not answer, by night, and am not silent. However, it is followed by Ps 22:24 saying, For he has not despised or disdained the suffering of the afflicted one; he has not hidden his face from him but has listened to his cry for help.
It is no coincidence that these 3 truths are woven into the rest of the book of Psalms. In the first 40 Psalms alone there are continual, repeated examples which assure us God does take notice when we cry out to him in prayer. In those times, he quickly and intentionally reminded himself that God looks for, hears, and answers those who seek Him in prayer.
During those times when you too feel like there’s a barrier between Heaven and Earth, encourage yourself by reading the following verses aloud and picture God doing exactly what the scripture promises.
1. GOD LOOKS for those who will seek Him:
- The LORD looks down from heaven on the sons of men to see if there are any who understand, any who seek God. (Ps 14:2)
- For the LORD watches over the way of the righteous, but the way of the wicked will perish. (Ps 1:6)
- I will be glad and rejoice in your love, for you saw my affliction and knew the anguish of my soul. (Ps 31:7)
- The eyes of the LORD are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love. (Ps 33:18)
- The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous. (Ps 34:15)
2. Not only are the eyes of God watching over you, but GOD HEARS every word you are speaking to Him:
- In the morning, O LORD, you hear my voice; in the morning I lay my requests before you and wait in expectation. (Ps 5:3)
- The LORD has heard my cry for mercy; the LORD accepts my prayer. (Ps 6:9)
- He does not ignore the cry of the afflicted. (Ps 9:12b)
- In my distress I called to the LORD; I cried to my God for help. From his temple he heard my voice; my cry came before him, into his ear. (Ps 18:6)
- The eyes of the LORD are on the righteous and his ears are attentive to their cry. The righteous cry out, and the LORD hears them; he delivers them from all their troubles. (Ps 34:15,17)
- I waited patiently for the LORD; he turned to me and heard my cry. (Ps 40:1)
3. As He watches over you, and listens to your cry, His heart is moved and you can be assured that GOD WILL ANSWER you (whether or not your circumstances change immediately):
- To the LORD I cry aloud, and he answers me from his holy hill. (Ps 3:4)
- Those who know your name will trust in you, for you, LORD, have never forsaken those who seek you. (Ps 9:10)
- I call on you, O God, for you will answer me. (Ps 17:6)
- O LORD, the king rejoices in your strength. How great is his joy in the victories you give! You have granted him the desire of his heart and have not withheld the request of his lips. (Ps 21:1-2)
- O LORD my God, I called to you for help and you healed me. (Ps 30:2)
- I sought the LORD, and he answered me; he delivered me from all my fears. (Ps 34:4-6)
Reading these verses aloud will increase your faith, deepen your intimacy with the Lord, and enrich your spirit. You will also grow in your assurance that God is right there in the room with you and you have his undivided attention as your remind yourself that:
- GOD IS LOOKING
- GOD IS LISTENING
- GOD IS ANSWERING
We have found that point number 3 is most likely the most difficult to deal with especially when we have a prayer that has gone seemingly unanswered for quite sometime. If that’s the case you might find the following posts to be encouraging:
Additional faith building truths to increase your intimacy with the Lord are presented in our book “Where Heaven Meets Earth”.