But the flipside of that phrase, “Don’t just DO something, SIT there” can be just as powerful, and maybe even more effective in certain circumstances.
Scripture teaches the value of both:
1. There are warnings in scripture against laziness:
- Prov 6:10-11 A little sleep , a little slumber, a little folding of the hands to rest —and poverty will come on you like a bandit and scarcity like an armed man.
- Prov 20:4 A sluggard does not plow in season; so at harvest time he looks but finds nothing.
2. The are also warnings about wearing yourself out to get ahead in life:
- Ps 127:2 In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat — for he grants sleep to those he loves.
- Prov 23:4 Do not wear yourself out to get rich; have the wisdom to show restraint.
So rather than finding value in how busy we are, our worth should come through a balanced work ethic which includes times of rest. We must also acknowledge that both are valued by God as part of His design for our lives.